Saturday, March 28, 2009

Welcome to a New Sewing Blog!

I've been wanting to start a sewing/craft blog for awhile, but haven't because, frankly, as a new mom with a full-time job outside the craft industry, I have very little time to devote to my hobbies.  Since I have a million projects that are works-in-progress and nothing that's been finished recently, I'm going to revisit some of my past sewing projects.  I started out sewing as a kid by making clothes for my Barbies.  I still fondly recall a particular pair of brown corduroy coulottes I turned into a skirt for Barbie.  In junior high, I began sewing clothing for myself.  As an adult, I moved into sewing wedding dresses, which I loved doing.  I still do that occasionally; in fact, I'm working on my sister's wedding dress right now and will share the steps to that process with you as I go along.  I have recently become very interested in quilting.  My dream job would be to become a fabric/pattern designer.

Anyway, let me share some of my past wedding dresses with you.  Above are two of the wedding dresses I designed and made.  One is mine (on the dressform) and the other was for a friend.  I loved making these.  My dress was much more complicated and time-intensive than those I had made before it.  I also made it in secret, stealing an hour here and there, so my fiance wouldn't know what it looked like.  My friend's dress, made several years later, was even more complicated than mine.  It had three layers of tulle, each bordered with a different lace at the bottom.  The lacework took forever to sew on!  Though wedding gowns take a lot of time to make, I love the whole process.  I love talking with the bride, creating sketches for her to choose from, consulting with her on fabric and embellishment choices, drafting the patterns, and pushing my sewing skills to the max.  I love that once the dress is finished, I know that I have made something truly beautiful and unique that the bride will love and remember forever, and that will make her feel beautiful, too.  It's such a satisfying experience.

         






2 comments:

  1. Hello? My wedding dress by far was the greatest ever! I still love to just get it out and look at it here and there. It's even more special to me because it was made by you just from me telling you what I wanted. I am always bragging to everyone about my dress my sister in law made. This blog is probably good to help keep you organized. I'm going to need one to sort me out sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are beautiful! I can't believe you actually make dresses like that, they are so amazing! Thanks for stopping by and linking! -Allison

    ReplyDelete